Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: O.T. "Maggies"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    O.T. "Maggies"

    A guy I bought speakers from last year had a pair of these--he called them "Maggies". I didn't ask to listen to them but he raved about them--it still blows my mind that speakers can be in a cabinet that thin. Anyone ever heard these or something similar? Are they decent sounding overall and can you get decent bass out of something like that? MAGNEPAN MG 3.6R SPEAKERS | eBay

    I went to their website and this pair supposedly has a frequency response of 40-24,000 hz MG 1.6 - Magnepan, Inc.


    These are supposedly 35 hz to 40 khz but anyone have any idea how they sound? (clarity, bass "punch" etc.....)
    MG 3.7 Are they 35hz to 40 khz plus or minus 1,000 db?
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. "Maggies"

    I heard a pair wayyyy back when they first came out....I was impressed how it seemed like every person playing the music was somewhere in the room. they were the most transparent sound I had ever heard. They are oddbals but they do work good.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. "Maggies"

    I was impressed how it seemed like every person playing the music was somewhere in the room. they were the most transparent sound I had ever heard.
    Soundstage and imaging are some of the best in the business.

    If strong deep bass, and dynamic "punch" are requisites for your listening experience, Maggies are not going to satisfy your cravings. They are however in their own rite extremely fine loudspeakers.

    My .02.....................
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. "Maggies"

    The Magnepan/Magneplanar has been around for a long time. They were my introduction to High End audio circa 1974 - the big 3 panel tympani models. I still like them a lot. (Of course I had been listening to Altec for years before that, just didn't know it!) In Vegas a couple of years back they showed a demo of a very small one, about the size of a sheet of letter size paper. Had a planar sum under it. Amazing speaker.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. "Maggies"

    Yeah...maggies are great speakers...need lots of clean solid state power!
    I've owned practically all their models except the MG-20. But then the Tympani IVa
    is better than the MG-20 IMHO. But alas the size of the IVa was too much for the market.
    You need subs with these speakers.

    Right now I own a pair of the 3.5's and a set of the Tympani ID's.
    The ID's were the rock and roll planar because with the introduction of the ribbon
    tweeters in the IVa....3.5,3.6,MG20 the ability to push them to a volume level was
    compromised. But, the ID's I found just need a super tweeter above 10K, a horn loaded sub below
    and ka boom...great sound and lots of it! For a small room, the 3.5's,3.6s,20s are astounding!
    It's just the stereo imaging with my horn system is so much better and the volume can be whatever I want it to be.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. "Maggies"

    They suck on the bass department, period! Been there done that. Stick with HF drivers with horns, much better IME.
    QNME In Retro!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.